The Vik vicarage
This stately high official’s residence was built at Grov in Vik in the mid-18th century and served as a vicarage until 1930. It is 24 meters long and the base of the house measures close to 188 square meters. It is a timber structure built on one floor with a loft.
The vicarage has a tiled roof and exterior paneling. It was probably built in 1764-67. The house actually consists of two separate building joined together. One was the “Herrekammeret” (the gentleman’s lodgings) which was the residence of the vicar and could accommodate the bishop and other guests. The other building was “Borgstova”, a house for servants and farm workers.
Over a period of more than 16o years that the house served as a vicarage it was rebuilt many times. In the late 19th century the spacious rooms were divided into more and smaller rooms.
In 1937 G.F. Heiberg was given the permission to take over the empty and run-down house.
The vicarage was then moved to Amla – the first location of the museum – in 1941, restored to its original look and reopened for the public in 1949.
In 2005 the vicarage was moved again, this time to its present location.
The old vicarage gardens were model gardens important for the development of horticulture in this country. As far as possible, the garden surrounding the vicarage will be a reconstruction of the old vicarage garden in Vik.
From the audioguide